Below are the Learning Targets you will be asked to perform on the final, summative assessment.
1. I can classify different types of matter (element, compound, heterogeneous mixture, homogeneous mixture).
2. I know the difference between physical vs. chemical properties and can state examples of each.
3. I know the difference between physical vs. chemical changes and can state examples of each.
4. I can identify matter & changes in matter based on physical and chemical properties or changes.
Final Objective: Using data collected about the physical and chemical properties of a substance, I can classify the material as a compound, element or heterogeneous or homogeneous mixture. I can also predict how it will behave when I expose it to certain outside forces or chemicals.
5. I can describe the different states of matter and explain their differing properties using the Kinetic Molecular Theory.
Final Objective: Why is a liquid a liquid and not a gas or solid? If I only have one molecule of water, can it boil?
6. I understand the transitions from one state to another in terms of energy absorbed/released.
Final Objective - Why does boiling water never reach a temperature higher than 100 degrees Celsius at sea level but the vaporized water can?
7. I can define temperature and heat.
8. I know the difference between heat and temperature.
9. I can convert between the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperature scales.