The module is divided into two units. The first concerns occupations and the second the past simple.Grammar and vocabulary will be covered with the tutorials, while listening, reading and communicative tasks will be done in class.
• Past simple of “be”
• Past time expressions
Listening and reading skills:
• Listen to a conversation with a ghost
• Read dictionary definitions
• Story: “The Silent Powers” Chapters 9 and 10
• Life and culture: From north to south
• Listen to a list of events in the past
• Read an advertisement
• Listen to and understand a song
• Life and culture: The UK and the USA
• Talk about people from the past
• Play a quiz game
• Write about an imaginary person’s life
• Describe your early childhood
• Describe things that happened in the past
• Write a letter about an event in the past
• Write a diary
• Talk about your school year
At the end of this module:
most students will: be able to talk about the past. They will be able to tell people about their own childhood, including information about their former school in their country of origin. They will be able to write about key events in their lives.
some students will not have made so much progress and will: be able to recognise and use the past simple of regular and some irregular verbs. They will be able to give some details about their past.
some students will have progressed further and will: be able to compare their life in the UK with their former life in their country of origin. They will be able to give information about their past and include details. They will be able to write about their school year and compare it to their former school.