1. (TCO 3) Upon completion of the closing entries, you reviewed the general ledger and noticed that balances remained in all asset, liability, and equity accounts. In addition, there were still balances in the revenue accounts, but not expenses or dividends. Should this be the case after the closing entries have been recorded and posted to the general ledger? Please include the reasons why in your answer. (10 points)
2. (TCO 2) As required to complete Course Project 1, one must follow the cycle that includes 10 steps to complete the accounting cycle. (1) Explain how information from the journal entries get into the ledger accounts (15 points) and (2) provide an example of information that would be transferred. (10 points)
3. (TCO 4) Inventory valuation methods determine the cost of goods sold and the inventory balance. (1) Describe the difference between the LIFO, FIFO and average cost methods of accounting for inventory (15 points). (2) Give an example of the application of each method – LIFO, FIFO and Average Cost (10 points)
4. (TCO 4) A retailer needs to determine the cost of the shoes the company purchased in order to determine the inventory value to report on its balance sheet in a particular period. (1) Discuss the steps involved in determining the cost of shoes inventory as reported on the company’s balance sheet (15 points), and (2) use an example to show the impact of purchase discounts and allowances received by the company on the cost of shoes inventory (10 points).
5. (TCO 1) To evaluate the financial operations and health of a business, ratio anaylysis is used. 1) What do profitability ratios indicate about the company? (10 points) 2) Please provide 2 examples of profitability ratios and the related formula and indicate how they can be used in the decision making process. (15 points)