Homework – Week 4
1. What is the formula used to calculate the Materials Price Variance?
2. What is the formula used to calculate materials quantity variance (also called direct materials usage variance)?
3. What is the formula used to calculate direct labor rate variance?
4. What is the formula used to calculate direct labor efficiency variance (also called quantity or usage variance).
5. What is the formula used to calculate factory overhead controllable variance?
6. What is the formula used to calculate Factory overhead spending variance?
7. What is the formula used to calculate variable overhead efficiency variance?
8. MorningTime Bakery produces specialty coffee machines. MorningTime uses a standard cost system.
Data regarding production during August are as follows:
Variable Manufacturing overhead costs incurred
Variable Manufacturing overhead cost rate
$12 per standard machine hour
Fixed manufacturing overhead costs incurred
Fixed manufacturing overhead budgeted
Denominator level in machine-hours (Budget)
Standard machine-hour allowed per unit of output
Units of output
Actual machine-hours used
Ending Work-in-process inventory
Using the 4-variance method calculate all (variable and fixed) manufacturing overhead variances. Indicate F for favorable, and U for unfavorable.
9. Company ABC has estimated its sales budget at 500,000 units for the quarter ending December 30, 20X5. ABC expects sales for October, November, December are 37.5%, 25%, and 37.5% of the total, respectively. The desired finished goods inventories are as follows:
October 1 90,000 units
October 31 87,500 units
November 30 93,000 units
December 31 95,000 units
Prepare a production budget for the first last quarter 20X5.