Case 3-17 The Resort
1. Would you say this is a computer crime? Why or why not?
2. Is this fraud? Why or why not?
3. What internal controls would you recommend that would enable the resort’s managers to prevent such offenses?
4. Classify the controls that you just identified above as either preventive, detective, or corrective controls.
5. How does the matter of “accountability” (tracing transactions to specific agencies) affect the problem?
Case 4-31 Backwater University (Automating a Data Gathering Task)
1. Suggest two or more “technology solutions” for this problem
2. What hardware would be required for each solution you named in part 1?
3. What software would be required for each solution you named in part 1? What would this software do?
4. How would you go about showing that your solutions would be more cost effective than simply hiring more cashiers? (You do not have to perform any calculations to answer this questions – merely outline your method)