Active reading allows you to comprehend, retain and recall more of the content which you are reading as opposed to "passive" reading - such as leisure reading.
How can I be an active reader?
- Take notes: Write down questions or ideas you may have about the reading in a notebook, or in the margins of your book.
- Understand the main point of each paragraph: Read each paragraph thoroughly. Do you understand the main point? If so, add it to your notes - apply it to what you've learned so far. If you don't grasp the concept, go back and read it again.
- Read out loud.
- Study with other active readers. Discuss your ideas together.
- Question what you read
- Visualize what you read
- Connect the reading to yourself
- Make predictions in your readings
This video expands on the "additional tips" expressed in the text portion above.