HS-LS4-3. Apply concepts of statistics and probability to support explanations that organisms with an advantageous heritable trait tend to increase in proportion to organisms lacking this trait.
HS-LS4-4. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how natural selection leads to adaptation of populations
On a separate sheet of paper answer the following questions and turn them in at the end of class:
1. What are the three criteria for natural selection? Explain them.
2. Who/what determines natural and artificial selection?
3. What are some examples of artificial selection?
On the same sheet of paper answer the following questions and turn them in at the end of class:
3. Create a graph that represents both populations of moths (white and black). Be sure to use different colors and to create a key. The horizontal axis should be the years and vertical axis should be population amount.
4. Explain and justify why the white moth population changed.
5. Explain and justify why the black moth population changed.
Research one of the mentioned above organisms in the article. Create your own infographic like the one given to you about caterpillars. In your infographic include 1) information about natural selection 2) information about the organism chosen 3) terms and descriptions and 4) pictures and arrows. You can use Poplet, Glogster, Canva, or use any other platform you are familiar with. You will have time to work on this tomorrow in class and will be due at the end of the period tomorrow.