Assignment 3: The Role of Communication and Personality in Negotiation
Due Week 6 and worth 200 points
Negotiation involves people interacting with other people. How you communicate and react with people can be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful negotiation. Use the Internet to locate two (2) different major negotiations: one (1) that displays the role of communication and personality in a successful negotiation and one (1) that displays those roles in an unsuccessful negotiation.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
1. Describe the two (2) negotiations you chose to study.
2. Determine why the successful negotiation was effective. Determine why the unsuccessful negotiation was not effective and propose suggestions that could have positively affected the outcome.
3. Evaluate the role of personality attributes in the selected negotiations.
4. Determine how communication affected the outcomes of the negotiations.
5. Identify the different ways in which a negotiator may try to influence the other party. Determine which method of influence was the most effective in your selected examples.
Formulate a strategy that would build trust and improve both negotiations based on relationships.
Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
Determine effective techniques for improving communications during negotiations.
Formulate strategies that build trust and improve negotiations based on relationships.
Use technology and information resources to research issues in negotiation and conflict resolution.
Write clearly and concisely about negotiation and conflict resolution using proper writing mechanics.