In this packet, you should learn:
• Commas with coordinating clauses.
• Commas in lists.
• Commas with non-essential clauses (i.e. parenthetical elements)
• Commas for introductory phrases and clauses.
• Commas for direct speech.
• Common errors with commas (e.g. comma splices, unnecessary commas, etc.).
If your teacher is telling you to use commas or if you're reading your own work and it seems a little exhausting, read this quick rundown for the proper uses and improper uses of the comma!
This packet should help you with the following:
This cute "slasher" film gives you a great overview of the importance, and power, of a comma!
This brief slide show gives you a rundown on where commas go and where they don't!