Devry HIST 410N Week 2 Case Study
Case Study #2: Versailles: The Allies’ “Last Horrible Triumph”
This week, you will read the comments of the German Delegation to the Paris Peace Conference on the conditions of the peace which ended World War 1. You will find that document in the webliography. Many have argued that it was the way World War 1 ended which made World War 2 inevitable. Read the document and answer the following questions:
1. According to the authors of Germany’s complaint, how will various provisions of the treaty hurt Germany’s economy?
2. In Germany’s view, how would the country have been treated differently if the principles they attribute to President Wilson had been applied?
3. To what higher “fundamental laws” does the document appeal to in order to strengthen German assertions?
4. Do you agree with the authors of the document that Germany was being poorly treated? What response to their complaints might defenders of the treaty have made?
Submit your assignment to the Week 2 Dropbox, located at the top of this page. For instructions on how to use the Dropbox, read these
Case Study: The Democrat and The Dictator
Franklin Roosevelt and Adolph Hitler both came to power in 1933. They found themselves in charge of nations still suffering from the consequences of World War 1 and the Great Depression. Unemployment in the US was nearly 25%, while nearly one-third of Germany’s workforce had been idled.
Americans and Germans had opted for new leadership in 1933 and were now looking to their new leaders for solutions, and perhaps a new vision of the future. Both FDR’s Inaugural address and Hitler’s first address as Chancellor of Germany have been analyzed for their similarities and differences. Now it’s our turn!
In 2-3 pages, do the following:
1. Read both speeches and give an assessment of what these two leaders thought was the cause of the problems their countries faced. Provide quotes to support your view.
2. Using quotes from both speeches, tell how each leader intended to deal with:
2. Banking, finance and in general, the economy
4. Foreign Policy
3. Finally, in a concluding statement, tell where think these leaders find common ground in terms of their proposed solutions, and what you think their vision is with regard to the power of their position.
Complete your Case Study in a Word document, approximately 300–400 words in length.
Submit your assignment to the Dropbox, located at the top of this page. For instructions on how to use the Dropbox, read these
See the Syllabus section “Due Dates for Assignments & Exams” for due date information.