1. (TCO 1) Suppose that there is exactly one packet switch between a sending host and a receiving host. The transmission rate (R1) between the sending host and the switch is 1,000 Mbps, and between the receiving host and the switch (R2), 100 Mbps. Also, assume that the switch uses store-and-forward packet switching. What is the end-to-end delay for a 1,500-Byte packet (length L)? (In this question, ignore queuing, propagation delay, and processing delay)
2. (TCO 1) Two hosts, A and B, are separated by 10,000 km and are connected by a 100-Mbps direct link. The propagation speed over the link is 2.5 * 108 m/s. If you are sending 10-million bits of information, what is the maximum number of bits that will be on the link at any given time?
3. (TCO 5) A CSMA/CD network suffers six collisions and chooses K=5. If the system is operating on a 10-Mbps link, what is the delay (in seconds) before it tries to transmit again?
4. (TCO 5) Consider a multiple-access protocol network with the following characteristics: The host listens to the transmission line before it transmits its information. What is this type of multiple-access network called?
5. (TCO 5) A(n) ____________ address is used by the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer to denote a specific mechanism, process, or upper-layer protocol requesting services from the LLC sub-layer.
6. (TCO 5) Ignoring restricted addresses, what is the maximum number of MAC addresses supported by a system?
7. (TCO 5) If used, _________________ protocols are located between the data-link layer protocol and the network-layer protocol
8. (TCO 4) Which of the following method(s) is/are used to support switching in a router?
9. (TCO 4) Suppose that there are four routers between a source host and a destination host. If a 1,400-byte message (i.e., there is no fragmentation) is sent from the source host to the destination host, how many forwarding tables are indexed?
10. (TCO 4) What is a difference between an IP-switched network and an ATM-switched network?