1. The art or work of a poet.
a. Poems regarded as forming a division of literature.
b. The poetic works of a given author, group, nation, or kind.
3. A piece of literature written in meter; verse.
4. Prose that resembles a poem in some respect, as in form or sound.
5. The essence or characteristic quality of a poem.
6. A quality that suggests poetry, as in grace, beauty, or harmony: the poetry of the dancer's movements.
[Middle English poetrie, from Old French, from Medieval Latin potria, from Latin pota, poet; see poet.]