The purpose of this tutorial is to:
1. Introduce factoring in a different method using decomposition
2. Relating factoring to multiplication using the same model for both
3. Following a similar model to manipulatives while factoring
By the end of this tutorial;
The student will be able to factor the most difficult Tri-nomials with ease. Using the Tic Tac Toe design where a student could use for both expanding and factoring.
For any tri-nomial use the following steps:
1. Factor the Greatest Common Monomial Factor GCMF
2. The GCMF must be factored with a negative sign if the a-value of the quadratic function is negative.
3. Using P S I decompose the sum and change the tri-nomial into tetra-nomial.
4. Fill in the Tic Tac Toe as shown in the document.