1. IN YOUR WORDS list three RIGHTS that PATIENTS have under "Informed Consent"
2. IN YOUR WORDS list three RESPONSIBILITIES of medical professionals under "Informed Consent"
As you watch respond to the following questions:
* DO NOT rewrite the question
* DO number your responses
3. Was it illegal to take Henrietta's cells at the time they were taken?
4. Explain the difference between "illegal" and "unethical"
5. List three ways the taking of Henrietta were to go to the hospital today.
6. Describe when is it legal for researchers to give away YOUR samples without YOUR consent?
7. Explain why medical professionals need to continue to evolve their ethics rules.
University of Maryland Associate Professor of Philosophy, Dr. Sam Kerstein, explains informed consent, medical ethics, and the treatment of Henrietta Lacks.
This video is part of a series of interviews conducted with faculty and staff experts on topics related to this year's First Year Book selection, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks."
Video by Allie Wilding
Published August 15, 2001
Copyright University of Maryland, First Year Book Program
Read the following article and take Cornell Notes: Henrietta and Informed Consent
- LENGTH: Front and Back