1. (TCO 4) What were encomiendas?
2. (TCO 1) The Jamestown colony was established by
3. (TCO 4) Why did colonists turn to slave labor rather than indentured servants in the late 1600s?
4. (TCO 4) What happened in the colonies as a result of the Glorious Revolution in England?
5. (TCO 2) To protest British taxes, colonists often organized boycotts to
6. (TCO 2) According to the Loyalists, legitimate authority over the colonists was held by the
7. (TCO 2) Which is an advantage the British had over the Patriots at the beginning of the war?
8. (TCO 1) Congress called a convention to revise the Articles of Confederation because
9. (TCO 1) Which of the following most closely preserved the government of the Articles of Confederation?
10. (TCO 3) Who extolled the equality of conditions in his bookDemocracy in America?
11. (TCO 3) The Waltham System
12. (TCO3) The bloodiest slave uprising in U.S. History was
13. (TCO 3) Who led the Texans in drawing Santa Anna into a trap at the Battle of Jacinto?
14. (TCO 2) Congress tried to resolve the dispute between the North and the South about slavery in the territories by
15. (TCO 2) Immediately prior to Bleeding Kansas, what kind of government had been established in the Kansas-Nebraska territory?
16. (TCO 8) Lee's smaller army defeated McClellan's larger force and kept Union troops out of Richmond because
17. (TCO 8) Which Civil War battle decisively turned the tide of the war in favor of the Union?
18. (TCO 10) Many immigrants came to the U.S. to avoid
19. (TCO 10) Which reformer led the effort to provide birth control for women?
20. (TCO 7) What nation informed American authorities about the Zimmerman note?
21. (TCO 7) During World War I, which of these did the Germans use against British ships?
22. (TCO 11) During the 1920s, the stock market
23. (TCO 11) Which President was named Silent Cal?
24. (TCO 11) Which economic factors led to the Great Depression?
25. (TCO 7) Hitler justified Germany's aggression by stating that
1. (TCOs 1 and 2) Identify and describe the main provisions of the Constitution of 1787. Make sure you analyze the compromises made at the convention to ensure the passage of the new federal constitution. Then discuss the formation of America’s first two political parties, the Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists. What were the major differences and who were the best-known members of each party? Make sure you use enough details to support your answer.
2. (TCO 2) Identify and analyze the arguments over slavery in the New Western Territories after the Mexican War (1846–1848). How did northern and southern Democrats differ over this issue? Then describe the presidential election of 1848. Identify the key parties and candidates. Analyze how the results of this election set the stage for a reconfiguration of American politics that ultimately led to the Civil War. Be sure to use enough details to support your answer.
3. (TCOs 6 and 7) Identify and explain at least two causes of World War II. Then analyze America’s foreign policy before the war, and describe how that policy changed as the war progressed. Be sure to include a discussion of how the Battle of Britain influenced American opinion. Make sure you use enough details to support your answer.
4. (TCOs 7 and 9) Identify and analyze the main events of the Korean War and Cuban Missile Crisis. Then assess how these events affected the relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union. Make sure you use enough details to support your answer