or email at:
HSA 500 ASSIGNMENT 3 HEALTH CARE COSTS
The U.S. has experienced a significant increase in the cost of health care. In 2004, 16% of the Gross
Domestic Product (GDP) was spent on health care. In 2010, President Obama signed the “Affordable
Health Care for America Act (HR 3962)” that has been a topic of heated debate since discussions began
decades ago. Health care funding and design has been a major issue for U.S.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper that addresses the following directives below.
1. Provide a discussion that demonstrates you have an understanding of the impact the cost of
health care has on the economy. Be sure to discuss the Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
2. Health care legislation impacts an array of factors such as quality of health care, insurance
coverage, the free market, etc. Select two to three (2-3) areas impacted by health care legislation
such as HR 3962, and provide an argument in support of the health care act and two arguments
that are in opposition to such a health care act.
3. Compare the three (3) main types of health insurance in the U.S. and assess the solvency of
each. Make a prediction regarding the longevity of each type over the next 30 years.
4. Debate whether or not private health insurance violates the standard principles of insurance.
5. Analyze the evolution of the promotion of health and disease prevention in the U.S. and identify
the point at which a clear shift in the thinking in the dominant culture occurred resulting in the
greatest impact on the health care insurance system in the U.S.
6. Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other
Websites do not quality as academic resources.