This is the assigned reading for reaction rates. Keep track of the following ideas as you read: (perhaps notes would be a good idea)
1) At the molecular level, describe what a reaction is.
2) Use a molecular model to illustrate a reaction.
3) How is reaction rate measured?
4) What affects the reaction rate?
5) Why does the rate of reaction change during the course of a reaction?
6) What is an effective collision?
7) Draw and label a reaction profile (potential energy diagram) for both an exothermic and endothermic reaction.
8) Why are all reactions not instantaneous? This encompasses several ideas – effective collisions, energy, number of particles, etc.
An introduction to collision theory and factors that affect the rate of a reaction.
Source: pearson education
Basic definitions and explanations of collision theory and reaction rates.
Use this tutorial to learn about reaction rates. It includes several examples for practice.
Source: W. W. Norton & Company
Similar information in this power point as in previous but with a greater depth of detail.
This video describes in detail why chemical reactions occur and what conditions affect whether or not a reaction will occur and how fast this reaction will occur.
This video introduces the idea of rate and how we use the concentration of reactants or products to determine the speed of a reaction.
Source: chemistNATE youtube channel