Learning Objective: By the end of the lesson, students will be able to describe each layer of the earth;
crust, mantle, outer core, inner core and explain the differences between the four.
A. Science Content Area Standard:
6. 1b Students will know the Earth is composed of several layers: a
cold, brittle lithosphere; a hot, convecting mantle; and a dense, metallic core.
B. Next Generation Science Standard:
RST.6-8.9 Compare and contrast the information gained from
experiments, simulations, video, or multimedia sources with that gained from reading a text on the same
C. Common Core: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.6.4
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative and
connotative meanings; analyze the impact of a specific word choice on meaning
2. Watch "Inside the Earth" for auditory learners.
3. Watch "Layers of the Earth" YouTube video to incorporate a song for students.
4. View images of step-by-step instructions (for visual learners) on how to create Earth out of Play-Doh for hands on activity.
5. For homework, answer the short answer question provided by the teacher.
Inside the Earth
Layers of the Earth
Step by Step Instructions (here)
Take home short answer question.