or email us at:
LEG 500 WEEK 5 MIDTERM EXAM
1. Select the best definition of ethics:
a. a fairly clear cut set of guides for decision making.
b. a set of relatively unclear principles regarding what we must do.
c. a set of relatively unclear principles regarding what we should do.
d. religious views about the world.
2. Laws must be static and unyielding in order to provide stability for a society.
3. Choose the statement regarding duty to rescue that is false:
a. There is no general duty to rescue an individual.
b. One basis for not imposing individual rescue liability is: An individual should have a right of freedom of action, privacy and personal autonomy not to intervene and perform rescue.
c. Under a liberal–communitarian approach, citizens owe a duty to the state to rescue other citizens based on reciprocal rights and duties.
d. When one taunts another person who then puts themselves in danger in response to the teasing, the teaser has a duty to rescue the other.
4. All of the following are considered exceptions to the general rule that there is no duty to rescue except:
a. Contract – lifeguards, for example, have signed contracts agreeing to rescue people in exchange for pay and benefits.
b. Witnessing an accident – this creates a duty to step in and help the injured
c. Child abuse- statutes in nearly all states require that one report suspected child abuse.
d. Endangerment – if one puts another in danger, then he/she is obligated to rescue that person.
5. Which of the following views on outsourcing would be consistent with the free market ethics approach advocated by Milton Friedman?
a. Outsourcing is detrimental to the economy because it limits profitability.
b. Outsourcing decreases efficiency and productivity.