Be sure to pause, rewind, rewatch as necessary.
Source: various educators and langhans (powerpoints were meshed together from various resources)
1. Do you expect diffuse reflection, or regular reflection, from these surfaces?
a) a shiny metal surface ________________
b) plywood ______________
c) still, clear water ___________
d) clean, waxed linoleum floor___________
e) dirt _____________________
2. Can light travel in a vacuum? _____. Explain why or why not.
3.Label the following terms on the diagram below: - incidence ray - refracted ray - boundary - normal line - angle of incidence - angle of refraction - reflected ray
4. If a ray of light passes across the boundary from a material in which it travels fast into a material in which travels slower, then the light ray will bend _________ the normal line.
5. If a ray of light passes across the boundary from a material in which it travels slow into a material in which travels faster, then the light ray will bend ___________ the normal line.
6. If light travels into and out of a medium, it is possible that the final direction of the light waves is the same as the initial direction of the light waves. What are the two conditions necessary for this to occur? Include a labeled diagram to illustrate this occurrence.7. Total internal reflection occurs when all the light is __________and none of the light is ___________ .
8. What are the two conditions necessary for total internal reflection to occur?
9. Define critical angle.
10. Define polarization.
11. When is it best to use a polarized filter?
Source: various educators and langhans