1. (TCO 2) Name and describe or define the activities that are involved in the staffing function of HRM.
2. (TCO 7) You are trying to get a job as a recruiter for an HR department for a large multinational company. One of the things you are asked in your interview is to describe the following types of recruiting methods, explain when you would most likely use each of them (i.e., for what kind of jobs), and explain why (at least one reason each). What would you say if the methods were online recruiting, job fairs, and employment agencies?
3. (TCO 12) Describe three types of flexible benefits programs and state the one you would recommend be implemented. Why would you pick that one program? Provide at least one solid business reason why.
4. (TCO 8) As an HRM professional, you have just been hired by the ABC Company as the new HR director. Senior management has called a meeting to discuss new employee orientation. ABC has not really done much in this area and wants a sound rationale from you before spending money on a formal program of new employee orientation. What would your presentation include, and how would you justify the expense?
5. (TCO 1) An economic recession can impact HR functions in a positive way, such as when
6. (TCO 3) Luisa has worked for a 2,500-employee chemical manufacturer, PoySon, for 2 years. She went to work Monday morning to find her key no longer fit the front door lock and a new sign—"FUTURE HOME OFFICE OF GREEN CO.”—on the front door. She called the office and found that the telephone had been disconnected. Her husband called her and mentioned the local paper with headlines, "PoySon Sells Plastics Plant to a Recycler: 2,000 Layoffs!" Luisa remembered the letter she received from the HRM department 3 months earlier warning of this probable plant closing. To which further protection is Luisa entitled under W.A.R.N.?
7. (TCO 3) Which of the following factors is not an acceptable basis for different pay for equal work under the Equal Pay Act of 1963?
8. (TCO 4) Based on research into ethical behavior in the workplace, which of the following is a true statement?
9. (TCO 5) Which of the following terms refers to the procedure used to determine the duties associated with job positions and the characteristics of the people to hire for those positions?
10. (TCO 6) Where would you most likely find an advertisement for the job of CEO of Lowe’s?