1. (TCO A) You have been promoted to a leadership position in a multi-national organization. List and explain the managerial roles you need to perform.
2. (TCO B) You are the manager of a department. You need to motivate your people to improve productivity so the department can meet its budget. You decide to use the reinforcement theory of motivation. Explain this theory and how you would apply it.
3. (TCO C) You lead a division of a company, and notice sales revenues are falling. You decide to motivate the sales force. You can use either personal power or position power. Explain the difference between the two. Which will you use in this case, and why?
4. (TCO D) After successfully completing your goals, the organization promotes you to lead a larger team with members of different backgrounds and ability. Recognizing that this is your first experience with such a team, the organization assigns a veteran as your coach. At your first meeting with the coach, he suggests you learn all about the Path-Goal Leadership Model. Explain this model and how it is relevant to managing a diverse team.
5. TCO E) You lead a virtual team, with members working from different locations in U.S. and other countries. Your team needs to succeed, and your future assignments depend on how well they work together. How will you ensure their timely cooperation and contribution?
6. On your next leadership assignments, you notice that your subordinates, peers, and executives are from four different generations. What opportunities would you expect? What challenges should you prepare for?
7. A colleague tells you about her plans for crisis response, and asks what you think of such plans. Why do organizations need a comprehensive crisis response plan?
8. (TCO H) At your new position as a mid-level manager, you need to interact with subordinates, peers, and higher-level executives who are new to you. To help you understand the various approaches each person takes in managing their interactions, you ask for coaching from your new supervisor. He suggests you learn about the five conflict management styles. What are these, which will you adopt, and why?