Grade 5. Reading Standards for Literature. Integration of Knowledge and Ideas.
7. Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
This assignment is aimed at 5th grade. It is designed to teach students how to find key information within multiple texts (or video) in order to gain the skills for critical analysis.
In order to find information within multiple sources regarding the celebration of Diwali, please follow these three steps:
1. Watch the video by National Geographic on Diwali, Festival of Lights (see video below).
2. Read National Geographic's information on Diwali from their website by following the link below.
3. Explore the information on Diwali in Detail below.
4. After completing this tutorial, an in-class writing assignment will be completed by answering the following question:
The Big Question: Why is Diwali the most important holiday in India? Support your answer using details from these three sources.
National Geographic video on Diwali, Festival of Lights.