Recombinant DNA Technology Notes
Chapter 13 (pgs.345-346)
Access lecture video at dunnclassroom.blogspot.com
A. Forming recombinant DNA:
1) Take “gene of interest” from one organism and__________ into the ____________of the organism you wish to alter.
2) ______________ an unwanted gene from an organism.
B. Forming a transgenic organism
1) Insert the “gene of interest” by using a ___________.
2) Two types of vectors: ________ vector and bacterial _____________.
C. Using bacterial plasmids to form Recombinant DNA
1) Remove plasmid from a bacterial cell
· ______ ______ form at both ends of the plasmid.
3) The ______ ___ ________ (transgene) is removed from
· Sticky ends form at both ends
of the ____________.
at the sticky ends by the use of the enzyme _________.
5) The recombinant DNA plasmid is inserted into
a _____ ___________ cell which replicates and
expressed the new gene.
In your own words describe recombinant DNA
What does GMO stand for?
In your own words describe what a GMO is?
What enzyme connects the transgene with the bactierial plasmid?
What are sticky ends?
What enzyme cuts DNA at specific sequences?