RELI 448 Final Exam New 2016
1. (TCO 1) The word religion literally means:
2. (TCO 1) The position that argues that we cannot know whether there is a god or not is known as:
3. (TCO 2) Who was the German theologian who argued in The Idea of the Holy that religions emerge when people experience that aspect of reality which is essentially mysterious?
4. (TCO 4) Who was the Scottish anthropologist and author of The Golden Bough who saw the origins of religion in early attempts by human beings to influence nature and who identified religion as an intermediate stage between magic and science?
5. (TCO 4) What is the name of the Austrian ethnographer and philologist who argued that all humankind once believed in a single High God and that to this simple monotheism later beliefs in lesser gods and spirits were added?
6. (TCO 8) Vedic religion was:
7. (TCO 8) The power of a god is often symbolized by
8. (TCO 9) Hinduism, as formulated in the Upanishads
9. (TCO 10) Both Jainism and Sikhism:
10. (TCO 8) According to the Buddha, his teachings must be:
11. (TCO 8) Once a person reaches nirvana:
12. (TCO 8 ) The Chinese word for "righteousness," "benevolence," "humanity-at-its-best" is:
13. (TCO 8) Confucius thought the most important relationship was
14. (TCO 9) Which is not a Daoist value?
15. (TCO 9) In Zhuangzi's (Chuang Tzu's) famous dream, he was not certain that he was not: