2. Explain how the Gold Rush transformed the economy of California, including the types of products produced and consumed, changes in towns (e.g., Sacramento, San Francisco), and economic conflicts between diverse groups of people.
3. Analyze the effects of the Gold Rush on settlements, daily life, politics, and the physical environment (e.g., using biographies of John Sutter, Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, Louise Clapp)
Watch this video for an introduction to the California Gold Rush!
View this website (http://www.history.com/topics/gold-rush-of-1849) to explore the following topics regarding the Gold Rush:
1. The Discovery at Sutter's Mill
2. The Spread of the News
3. The '49ers Come to California
4. The Lasting Impact of California
Read about People and Events during the Gold Rush on this website!
How did the Gold Rush lead to the creation of California?