Students will be able to complete a presentation with the information that they have researched about the Solar System. Students
will be using various digital tools to help them succeed in this task. Students will complete this unit by giving an actual presentation
to the classes.
Writing Common Core Standards Grade 5:
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
b. Develop the topic with facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples related to the topic
d. Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic
6. With some guidance and support from adults, use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing as well as to interact and collaborate with others
7. Conduct short research projects that use several sources to build knowledge through investigation of different aspects of a topic
9. Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
Science Content Standards:
5. The solar system consists of planets and other bodies that orbit the Sun in predictable paths. As a basis for understanding this concept:
b. Students know the solar system includes the planet includes the planet Earth, the Moon, the Sun, eight other planets and their satellites, and smaller objects, such as asteroids and comets.
3. Research and Information Fluency
Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
b. Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media
c. Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks
2. Communication and Collaboration
Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
a. Interact, collaborate, and publish with peers, experts, or others employing a variety of digital environments and media
b. Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats
Students will be in groups of about 3 or 4 and will each be given a computer. Students will be required to fill out a Google Doc with their group members of the information they have found while researching the Solar System. Students will then be required to put together a Google Presentation. Students will then give these presentations orally in front of their peers.
1. Using your computer, you will begin this lesson by watching a video on facts about the Solar System that you will learn through song. This video is shown above, or click the link below.
2. You will then be placed in groups of 3 or 4 students and will be required to use the internet to research about the different planets in our solar system. You should be researching well known facts as well as facts that not everyone will know. You may use the below links to help begin your search for information.
3. Once you have started your research, you will record your data in a Google Doc. Please use the link below
4. Once you have recorded all of your information in the Google Doc, you will then work with your group to create a Google Presentation. This presentation should include facts about each planet that you have learned. Each of you in your group will contribute to the presentation. Slides must consist of facts and pictures on each planet.
5. You will then give an oral presentation to the rest of your peers using the Google Presentation you have created with your group. You have the option of recording your voices onto your presentation so that you do not have to speak directly in front of the class. Please use Garage Band to incorporate the voice into the presentation.