Here are your notes on Thermal Energy. This is a longer video- 11 minutes.
Source: Langhans and various other educators
In each of the following situations, identify the method of heat transfer taking place (conduction, convection, radiation). More than one process may be occurring.
1. Hot coffee is stirred with a spoon, the spoon gets hot due to..__________
2. A chair is placed several feet from a fire in a fireplace. The fireplace has a glass screen. The side of the chair facing the fireplace gets warm because of …….__________
3. A certain type of decorative lamp contains colored liquids. These liquids form globs that break off and rise to the top of the liquid. The globs rise due to…….__________
4. Near the ceiling of a room the air is warmer. The warm air rises because of..__________
5. A college student holds the back of his hand near an iron to see if it is hot. Heat is transferred to his hand by……
6. A heater is placed under one corner of a water bed mattress. Warm water moves throughout the mattress because of…….__________
7. A certain type of stainless steel cookware has a layer of copper applied to the bottom to help it heat evenly. The copper transfers heat to the pan by ……………..__________
8. In a swimming pool, the water near the surface is slightly warmer. The warm water rises because of……….__________
9. One end of a copper rod is placed in a flame of a bunsen burner. Small pieces of wax placed along the rod melt at progressively larger distance from the flame. Heat is transferred through the rod by………__________
10. A house burns down. On the house across the street, all of the vinyl siding is twisted and warped by the heat. The heat was transferred across the street by……..__________
1. Why is winter clothing generally darker in color than summer clothing?
2. Explain why wearing two or three layers of clothing helps to keep you warmer in cold weather than does one thick layer.
3. Explain why the inside of an automobile left sitting in direct sunlight for several hours becomes very warm.
4. Which has more thermal energy, a 5-kg bowling all that has been resting on a hot driveway for 4 hours on a 350C day, or the same bowling ball rolling down a lane in an air-conditioned bowling alley? Explain.
Source: various educators and Langhans