Click here to see the video on You Tube if you can view the video below.
The address is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do0opM2J4-4&feature=youtu.be
After watching the video, go to the following link HERE
1. Click on parallelogram tab on top of the interactive activity.
2. Copy the table in your notebook. AB is the base length and CE is the height
3. Using your mouse, click on point A and C to move the values of the height and base to a whole number
4. Note the area for your parallelogram in your table.
5. Repeat this two more time for different base and height values
6. Do you notice a relationship between the base and height values and the area of the parallelogram?
Parallelogram: A four sided figure or quadrilateial where opposite sides are parallel.
The formula for the area of a parallelogram is the same as the formula for the area of a rectangle:
Area of Parallelogram = base X height
Height of a parallelogram is perpendicular to the base
Example: If the base equals 6 cm and the height (h) equals 8 cm, what is the area of the parallelogram?
Area = base X height
Area = 6 cm X 8 cm
Area = 48 cm2