Online College Courses for Credit

+
2 Tutorials that teach Water
Take your pick:
Water

Water

Author: Sophia Tutorial
Description:

Recognize the breakdown of water on Earth.

(more)
See More
Fast, Free College Credit

Developing Effective Teams

Let's Ride
*No strings attached. This college course is 100% free and is worth 1 semester credit.

47 Sophia partners guarantee credit transfer.

299 Institutions have accepted or given pre-approval for credit transfer.

* The American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE Credit®) has evaluated and recommended college credit for 33 of Sophia’s online courses. Many different colleges and universities consider ACE CREDIT recommendations in determining the applicability to their course and degree programs.

Tutorial

what's covered
This tutorial will cover the topic of water. We will discuss the state of the earth's water supply, and how it is treated and stored. We will explore water's various uses and compare the differences between nations within global water consumption.

Our discussion breaks down as follows:

  1. The Earth's Water Supply
  2. Water Treatment
  3. Global Water Consumption


1. The Earth's Water Supply

About 70% of the earth's surface is covered in water. While the total supply of water is fixed, it does cycle from ocean to atmosphere to land, and back to the ocean through the water cycle. However, this does not change the total available water, which is finite.

Unfortunately, humans can't use seawater for household or drinking purposes unless it has been treated, which can be very expensive.

did you know
Approximately 97% of global water is seawater. The remaining 3% is freshwater and only 1% of that 3% is accessible for human use. Freshwater can be found in glaciers, ice, below ground, and in lakes and rivers.


2. Water Treatment

Some water can be used without needing any sort of treatment, but the majority requires treatment before it is usable. Once water is found at its source, it is transported to a water treatment facility, like the one shown below, that can remove harmful contaminants and materials.

Water Treatment Plant

After that, it is taken to a storage facility, like the water tower shown below, until it is needed. Once needed, it will be distributed for use by things like faucets and sprinklers.

Water Tower


3. Global Water Consumption

Presently, water has a number of uses, such as for drinking, in the household for food preparation, toilets, bathing, and cleaning, as well as by fire departments for fire protection or by industry for various uses.

Water is not used equally across the planet. Different regions use water differently per capita. Developed regions like the United States and Europe use the majority of water, though developing nations hold the majority of the world's population. This chart shows average water use per person per day in various nations.

Water Use By Nation

At the making of this tutorial, India and China hold approximately 35% of the world's population, yet only use around 80 or 140 liters per person per day respectively, while the United States averages almost 600 liters per person per day and holds only 4.4% of the world's population.


summary
Today we learned about water globally — the layout of the earth's water supply. We learned how much is usable, how it is treated, and its various uses. Important to note is how water is disproportionately used by developed and developing nations.

Source: Adapted from Sophia instructor Jensen Morgan, WATER PLANT CC HTTP://BIT.LY/1XLA3BX WATER TOWER CC HTTP://BIT.LY/1BVPXWE WORLD WATER CC HTTP://BIT.LY/1ZHYPDF